Friday 2 August 2013

Those little things...

 

                    

So recently I was chatting with my friends at their house when I smelt some very delicious dish being cooked; with tangy spices and an addicting and breath taking taste towards it. Instantly, I was reminded of my grandma's,or my dear nani, and her sweet little snacks.

It was a like a black and white flashback that brought back a smile to my face when I remebered being chased by my cousins after eating the cake because 'it was smelling really good'.
What do we classify smells and fragrances with? Perfumes and deoderants, of course.
To be truthful, hardly any perfume actually makes you say, "It smells great".
To me, many of them smell the same. A fragrance has lost the things it linked with itself. They're random variables now.
Now that I'm driving and drilling into the topic, I remember butter being part of my childhood memories. Why? It smelt exactly the way it tasted.
When it melted, that frothy, beautiful, tangy, lip-smacking butter gave a smell that stayed on your head forever.
I am getting teary- eyed now,so teary eyed. Since when did I get so emotional???
You are part of some things; but some things are part of you.
Where do you live?
In a hostel?  I remeber 'the hostel'; while making yummy two minute noodles, you never want anyone to catch the smell and come crawling to your room, thanks to the 'I couldn't help it-it smelt awesome' smell!                                        
Our house always smelt of  a mixture of peppermint and mango. A weird combination, I know.
And rain, ah, of course. Who can forget that??
The first drops of rain on the ground always gave an enchanting smell. It was heavenly, I know, but it was even better to have the smell of dhokla or momos in the air with the rain.
And there's one more smell I loved, that brought me back to childhood. Remember your mother saying, "Wash your hands...? I always sanitized mine. Three drops, and then just drown in the smell. Ahh...that strong, great smell.     

Haven't any of you ever been somewhere, anywhere, but by the smell of the place, just felt as though you were home?

And of course, who could forget your room. "Oh my, how old are these socks"??? my mom would say. What would you do? One smell in the air, and- "Exactly two days 5 hours old".
And that would then bring that perfume, one whiff of it, and a sigh of relief.
So I guess this is the end of my great post- the memoir of your smells- leading to a flashback.
Thanks to AmbiPur and https://www.facebook.com/AmbiPurIndia , I was able to think and well, escape into a whole new world.
Sob, sob. A happy, teary eyed, end.
Why are you so happy?
I just remember my home.
How? Why?
I smelt my old socks.



Your old socks.
Mom's favourite lip gloss.
Dad's shoe polish.
the food of your fish.
Hot soup (tomato and hot & sour).
Apple tart.
cream for skin wart.

This is a post in association with AmbiPur smelly to smiley contest.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Old socks are, in my opinion, the most nostalgic of smells. All those playtimes, school.. Ah :)

    ReplyDelete